Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Newport Folk Festival - By Ben

George Wein

I had the pleasure of attending this years Newport Folk Festival. For those that don't know, this is one of the most legendary festivals in the country. Its where Dylan went electric and hundreds of folk artists throughout the years have made their name. This year proved to be no different. Set in an old fort on the southern tip of Newport, Rhode Island, over three stages, one of which is in the middle of the fort, armed with some black and white film, I set to work documenting my experience.

O'Death

My plan was to check out artists I had never heard of instead of seeing the ones I knew. This proved to be fortuitous as I discovered some new favorites. I tended to gravitate toward the middle of the fort stage since it featured more up and coming acts and had a smaller crowd.

One of the standouts was Horse Feathers. From Portland, Oregon, these guys create beautiful music with a cello, banjo, violin, guitar, and percussion. Their sound is light, melodic and well composed. The string arrangements are something to behold.

Horse Feathers


Another standout to me was The Low Anthem, from Providence, RI. I have some pictures of them forthcoming. Their harmonies are about as perfect as I've heard live from four people. They have a nice approachable sound and crafty song writing. Their dynamic range is also very impressive.

Doc Watson was one of the older acts I really wanted see. His shows have such an amazing energy because of his stature among the fans. People know they are seeing a legend and at 87 Doc never fails to deliver. I got backstage and captured this photo of his grandson helping him on stage (he has been blind his whole life).

Doc Watson

Some other highlights were Elvis Perkins in Dearland, The Punch Brothers, Sarah Jarosz and The Preservation Hall Jazz Band. The best thing is you can listen to all the sets from the Festival here.

More Pictures:

John Prine


The Crowd at Horse Feathers

Wood and Watercolors at Horse Feathers

Doc Watson Going Onstage

No Swimming

Girl

Doc Watson

Tim O'Brien

Jenna, Alex, Jammison 


Drew, The Newport Folk Fest's Publicist

No comments:

Post a Comment